The amount of fresh content being produced each and every day is staggering. From news reporters to niche vloggers to filmmakers, amateurs and professionals all around the world are working non-stop to enlighten and entertain – and many of these content creators need to work wirelessly.There loads of benefits to using wireless microphones. Most use them for their hands-free flexibility and inconspicuousness, and for many, wireless is the only way to go. No matter what field you’re working in, there’s a wireless RØDE mic to get the job done. Let’s take a look at the different options in the range and which one might be best for you.
A Note on RØDE Wireless Microphones
Before we dive in, it’s worth noting that all RØDE wireless mics use 2.4GHz digital transmission to beam audio between their respective transmitters and receivers. This is a license-free radio frequency in every country, meaning they can be used anywhere in the world without any issues. The entire RØDE wireless range also utilise a frequency agile system that automatically seeks out and hops between the best frequencies. This helps ensure the strongest signal is being used – reliable wireless audio at all times!
Wireless GO - NOW IN STOCK @ COMPETITIVE CAMERAS
The newest addition to the RØDE wireless family, the Wireless GO is an excellent audio solution for a wide range of content creators. It is super compact, with the transmitter and receiver weighing just 31g each and measuring less than the size of a matchbox. But what really sets it apart is the omnidirectional condenser mic built into the transmitter, meaning it doubles as a lavalier mic – truly wireless audio!Other key features:
- Up to 70m range (line-of-sight), but optimised for shorter-range operation in congested RF environments (such as shopping malls, office buildings, and dense urban areas)
- Built-in rechargeable battery (charged via USB-C) offering up to 7 hours life on a full charge
- 3-stage output pad: 0, -6dB and -12dB
- Compatible with any lavalier
- Use to 8 systems in one location
Who Is the Wireless GO Suitable For?The Wireless GO is perfect for anyone looking for a compact, hassle-free wireless solution. It is quick and easy to set up and use, delivers excellent audio quality, and is optimised for use in environments with high RF activity – perfect for vloggers, streamers, YouTubers, run and gun filmmakers, podcasters and journalists, businesses, education institutes and more.[embed]https://youtu.be/AXUngPjucVg[/embed]
RØDELink Filmmaker Kit
The Filmmaker Kit is the bigger brother of the Wireless GO and has been the industry standard in on-camera wireless audio since its release back in 2015. It is bigger than the Wireless GO and it has a greater range (100m and beyond in ideal conditions) and will help ensure a strong signal is maintained even when there isn’t line-of-sight between the receiver to the transmitter, making it suitable for filmmakers who find themselves on more demanding shoots.Other key features:
- 0db, -10db or -20db output attenuation on the receiver, plus a 0db, +10db or +20db gain switch on the transmitter
- Powered by 2 x AA batteries – which can power the units for over 30 hours – as well as microUSB
- 3.5mm TRS socket for plugging in a lapel mic
- Receiver compatibility with other RØDELink transmitters, including the TX-M2 handheld mic, and TX-XLR adapter to plug in any XLR mic
Who Is the Filmmaker Kit Suitable For?The Filmmaker Kit has found its way into the rigs of all kinds of content creators, from professional filmmakers to run and gun YouTubers. Obviously, it draws comparisons to the Wireless GO, but there are some key differences that may make one more suitable for you than the other. For detailed comparison, check out our RØDE Filmmaker Kit vs Wireless GO article.
RØDELink Newshooter Kit
As the name suggests, the RØDELink Newsshooter Kit is perfect for newsgatherers and journalists, but it is suitable for a wide range of use cases. The key difference between it and the Filmmaker Kit is the transmitter (in fact the receiver is the same in both kits), which is designed for use with any XLR microphone. This makes it an extremely versatile wireless system – plug in a handheld mic (like our Reporter) for broadcast-quality on-camera audio or connect a shotgun mic (like our NTG series) for wireless audio on set.Other key features:
- Four step gain control (0db, +10db or +20db, + 30db) on the transmitter, plus 0db, -10db or -20db output attenuation on the receiver (as with the Filmmaker Kit)
- Powered by 2 x AA batteries (as well as rechargeable packs like the Sony NP-F)
- Headphone output for direct monitoring of audio (with level control)
- OLED display
- 48v phantom power
- 3.5mm TRS input, should you need to plug in a lav or headset mic
- Comes with a waterproof pouch that doubles as a belt pack
Who Is the Newsshooter Kit Suitable For?The Newsshooter Kit is suitable for many different content creators, leaning towards the more professional end of the spectrum: newsgatherers and journalists, videographers and filmmakers looking for a versatile wireless solution, audio engineers, sound designers and more.
RØDELink Performer Kit
The Performer Kit is our stylish desktop wireless system, perfect for live performance, presentations, lectures and more. Differing from the Filmmaker and Newsshooter kits, it comes with a powerful desktop receiver (RX-DESK) and handheld wireless mic (TX-M2), which is a wireless version of our M2 live mic.Other key features:
- Five step gain adjustment on the receiver (-20, -10, 0, +10, +30dB)
- Digital display on the receiver to monitor peak levels, battery, signal strength and more
- Mic and line outputs on the receiver
- Mains power for the receiver and an included rechargeable battery for the mic
- High-quality condenser mic
- Low handling noise
- Mute switch on mic and mute override on receiver
Who Is the Performer Kit Suitable For?The Performer Kit is probably the least relevant wireless RØDE product when it comes to content creation. It is most suitable for live performance and presentation – for musicians, live sound engineers, wedding DJs, business professionals, educational institutions and more. That being said, how it could fit into your workflow is up to you!
Wireless Microphones for Content Creation: What RØDE Microphone Is Right for You?
As you can see, there is a RØDE wireless mic suitable for all kinds of content creators and all kinds of content creation. The most suitable option for you will really depend on what you’re working on, what kind of environments you find yourself in, and what types of accessories and features you need.Want something that can handle lav mics and shotguns to record audio for film? The Newsshooter Kit is for you. Want something compact and highly portable that can capture high-quality audio for your vlogs? The Wireless GO is perfect. Want something with more range and longer battery life to take on complex shoots. Check out the Filmmaker Kit. Need a powerful and reliable wireless mic for a live performance or a conference? The Performer Kit is the way to go.Check out the range of RØDE wireless mic here and find out more about the RØDELink series here.