Pre-Order the new Tamron 17-28mm @ Competitive Cameras today!
June 28, 2019, Commack, NY – Tamron announces the launch of the 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046), a large aperture, ultra-wide-angle lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras. The Model A046 features a filter diameter of Ø67mm (astonishingly small for a full-frame, large aperture, ultra-wide-angle zoom lens) as well as an unprecedented light weight of 14.8 oz. and diminutive length of 3.9 in. The compact size provides excellent balance on the small profile mirrorless cameras and is easy to carry. The lens will be available July 25 at approximately $899 at authorized Tamron USA retailers.
|The Model A046 offers a large F/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range and delivers high-resolution and contrast edge-to-edge. The combination of ultra-wide-angle focal length, large constant F/2.8 aperture and an MOD (Minimum Object Distance) of 7.5 in. at the wide-angle end encourages richly expressive and creative photography in a multitude of scenarios. The new 17-28mm zoom’s AF drive system is powered by the RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) stepping motor unit that enables it to deliver high-speed, high-precision and superbly quiet operation, making it suitable for shooting virtually noise-free video as well as still photographs. In addition, the new zoom lens features Moisture-Resistant Construction and a hydrophobic Fluorine Coating that repels fingerprints and dirt. Plus, the Model A046 is fully compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF. High performance, combined with exceptional portability, make the 17-28mm zoom ideal for daily use.|
|PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS |
1. Companion model to the compact, popular Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) zoomSharing the same development concept as the highly esteemed Model A036 that launched in May 2018, the 17-28mm zoom (Model A046) was designed with the top priority of high optical performance in a form factor that is light and compact. Tamron engineers have achieved an unrivalled small size (3.9 in) and light weight (14.8 oz) for a zoom range of 17-28mm. The overall length does not change when zoomed or during focus, thereby creating stable, well balanced operation and excellent mobility. In addition, Model A046 features a filter diameter of just 67mm, very small for an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens. It has the same filter size as its sister lens the Model A036 allowing the use of the same lens cap and filters. The two zooms together create an extremely compact system that covers 17 to 75mm and weighs less than 35.3 oz.
2. Superb high-resolution performanceThe 17-28mm zoom’s optical design consists of 13 lenses in 11 groups, including three aspherical lens elements, two LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements and one XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) lens element that has properties close to those of fluorite. Together they efficiently suppress chromatic and other aberrations. Additionally, Tamron’s legendary BBAR (Broad-Brand Anti-Reflection) Coating effectively reduces ghosting and flare. Leveraging camera functions*, it provides excellent optical performance matching the latest high-resolution image sensors from edge-to-edge throughout the entire zoom range. The combination of compact size and light weight plus high-resolution performance lets users capture a wide variety of genre including landscapes, architecture and casual snapshot photography.*When shooting with the camera’s lens correction function enabled.
3. Extreme close-up capability enables versatile creative expression with ultra-wide-angle zoomThe 17-28mm zoom focuses close. The MOD at the 17mm wide position is 7.5 in (same as Model A036) and the maximum magnification ratio is 1:5.2. At the 28mm end, it achieves the maximum magnification ratio of 1:6 while reaching the MOD of 10.2 in This remarkable performance allows users to create compositions that emphasize perspective (the closer subject is larger and the more distant one is smaller) and that are unique to wide-angle lenses.
4. The RXD stepping motor unit is exceptionally quietThe AF drive incorporates a sensor that accurately detects the position of the lens while the RXD motor unit delivers optimized AF control. This achieves very fast and accurate autofocus operation, allowing users to maintain pin-sharp focus on continually moving subjects or when filming video. The exceedingly quiet operation is an important advantage because it virtually eliminates extraneous sounds during video recording. In addition, the compact configuration of the RXD AF drive system contributes to the unprecedented size and weight reduction.
5. Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine CoatingEnvironmental seals are located at the lens mount area and other critical locations to prevent infiltration of moisture and/or rain drops and afford Moisture-Resistant construction. This feature provides an additional layer of protection when shooting outdoors under adverse weather conditions. Also, the front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that has excellent water- and oil-repellant qualities. The lens surface is easier to wipe clean and is less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, moisture or oily fingerprints, allowing for much easier maintenance.
6. Consistent design and operation throughout all Tamron lenses for full-frame mirrorless camerasSimilar to the 28-75mm (Model A036), the 17-28mm (Model A046) has a zoom ring at the front and a focus ring at the rear. Zooming, focusing and other functions are identical in this series to ensure consistent operation. The design is not only beautiful, it is functional as well and features an outer housing hugging the smooth contours of the lens body, deftly worked Luminous Gold brand ring and the precise, rigid metal lens mount. The Luminous Gold brand ring solidifies the characteristic look of a Tamron-branded lens whether on its own or attached to a camera body.
7. Versatile, exciting combination when paired with the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036)Two high-performance partners, the 17-28mm combined with the 28-75mm, cover the super-broad range from 17mm ultra wide-angle to 75mm medium telephoto, and maintain excellent speed with an open aperture of F/2.8. The total weight of the two lenses is 34.2 oz, less than 1kg. This compact but potent combo makes the most of the mobility of mirrorless cameras. In addition, both models have a filter diameter of 67mm, so the same filters such as PL (Polarizer) and ND (Neutral Density) may be used with both models, and lens caps are interchangeable.
8. Compatible with main camera-specific features and functionsTamron’s new 17-28mm zoom is compatible with many of the advanced features that are specific to certain mirrorless cameras. This includes the following:- Fast Hybrid AF- Eye AF- Direct Manual Focus (DMF)- In-camera lens correction (shading, chromatic aberration, distortion)- Camera-based lens unit firmware updates* Features vary by camera. Please consult your camera’s instruction manual for details.* As of May, 2019.